The Cantabria’s partners of the FEMINA project has participated in the 11th European Conference on Gender Equality in Higher Education. The event was organised by the Ministry of Science and Innovation in collaboration with the Polytechnic University of Madrid, and was held virtually on 15, 16 and 17 September. In addition, the Committee is integrated by the Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology.
The main objective of the conference is the promotion of a culture of gender equality in higher education and research, as well as gender mainstreaming in national and regional funding agencies and in the innovation sector.
The meeting was aimed at research staff, practitioners and academics from different European countries who are interested in sharing and evaluating practices and policies around gender equality in higher education.
The FEMINA project was part of the conference focusing on:
• Gender approaches in the promotion of scientific and technical vocations, especially in the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
• Policies that promote structural change for gender equality in the research, technology and innovation system.
The main objective of the FEMINA project region is to bring STEM professions closer to women, as until now this has been a masculinised sector. How will we achieve this in the region of Cantabria? Through the Action Plan, which is composed of two actions:
• Piloting and implementation of a gender-neutral kindergarten for high-tech centres, carried out by the Directorate General for Equality and Women.
• Breaking down barriers for women entrepreneurs in STEM fields, carried out by SODERCAN.
As far as our Directorate is concerned, the action is organised in different phases:
1. Diagnosis and design of an itinerary with a gender equality perspective, focused on technological contents and respecting, at the same time, the principles established in the 2030 Agenda.
2. Development of the pilot phase. The pedagogical proposal will be tested in two nursery schools.
3. Regional educational project. Thanks to the experience gained in the pilot phase, this regional educational project will be applied to the nursery schools integrated in the public system of nursery schools dependent on the Government of Cantabria.
Here you can get more information:
XI European Conference: https://upm.genderequalityconference2020.com/