The final end event of the S3Chem project extension on 13 September 2022 and 14. September 2022 marks the end of project extension phase, as well as of the entire project. Stakeholders, project partners and the EuropeanChemicalRegionsNetwork will showcase the power of chemicals in the smart specialization strategies of all seven regions and discuss the impact of the Covid19 crisis on the innovation environment especially in the chemical industry.
13 September – Tuesday
Representative of Catalonia – ACCIÓ (TBC)
“Chemical Sector in Catalonia”. Dr. Ma. Dolors Núñez. Team Leader for Analysis and Detection of Technological Opportunities. ACCIÓ
Ms. Núria Blasco, Managing Director, TEPSA-RT, and President of the Logistics and Port Activities Commission of the AEQT
17:30 – 18:30 Maritime visit to the Port of Tarragona
Mr. Jordi Anglès. Port de Tarragona
Visit the facilities of the port and the chemical pole from a boat. Explanation of activities and projects. (Petrochemical pole, Chemical Hub, Tarragona Port)
14 September – Wednesday
Chemical Regions Point of view
Panel with the participation of representatives from Agencies or Regional Bodies, Industry, Academia or Research from the different regions.
Asturias, Ms Paz Palacio, Technical Advisor of the Competitiveness and Innovation Area of IDEPA
Catalonia: Dr. Fernando Bravo, Unit Manager. CSOL - Catalyst Selection and Optimization Laboratory. Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ))
Limburg: Prof. Dr. Maarten Honing, Maastricht University
Lombardy: Mrs Ilaria Re and Mrs Sara Daniotti. Lombardy Green Chemistry Association.
Mazovia: Ms. Sylwia Sztark, Department of Regional Development and European Funds. The Office of the Marshal of the Mazowieckie Voivodeship in Warsaw
Saxony-Anhalt: Dr. André Mangelsdorf. Foreign trade, European affairs, development cooperation. Ministry of Economy, Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry
Moderator: Mr. Folco Ciulli Executive Director ECRN
10:15 Joint Analysis Post-Covid impact in Chemical Sector
Mr. Dirk Plees, Senior policy advisor internationalisation. Account European and Euregional Cooperation & Account Interreg Europe. Province of Limburg.
10:45 Interreg Europe S3chem project summary: Results and main outcomes
Dr. André Mangelsdorf, Saxony-Anhalt. S3chem Project Leader
11:00 Coffee break
11:30 Chemistry hot topics (I)
Moderator: Ms. Irene Puntí, Business Development Manager Circular & Bio economy. LEITAT
o Bio-based materials and processes Bio-based materials and processes
▪ “Lignin Valorization in Biorefineries” Dr. Diego Morillo, Area Manager in Functional Materials and Processing. Department of Applied Chemistry and Materials of Leitat Technology Center LEITAT
▪ “Biomaterials for packaging and food “, Prof. Sergio Collado. TBR. University of Oviedo. Associate to the Chemical and Process Industry of Asturias
▪ “Algae as a basic material”. Dr. Peter Bergmann from Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
▪ “Conversion of lignin to bio-compounds”. Dr. Kerstin Tiehle from Fraunhofer Center for Chemical-Biotechnological Processes (CBP)
12:30 Chemistry hot topics (II)
Moderator: Javier Adrián. Team Leader of the European Projects Office. ACCIO
o Chemical recycling
▪ “Design, Synthesis and Recycling of Circular Biopolymers” Prof. Arjan W. Kleij, ICIQ Group
Leader & ICREA Professor.
▪ “From recycling to sustainability in the chemical industry”, Prof. Paula Oulego TBR. University of Oviedo Associate to the Chemical and Process Industry of Asturias
▪ “Chemical recycling as a part of the sustainable development of the chemical industry - based on the ORLEN Group strategy and activity” , Dr. Joanna Będkowska, Vice President of the Board, Płock Industrial and Technological Park.
o Capture, storage, and reuse of CO2
▪ “CO2 capture technologies: current trends and future challenges”. Prof. JR Galan, ICIQ Group Leader & ICREA Professor (co-founder of Orchestra Scientific S.L.)
o Chemistry 4.0
▪ Chemelot Circular Hub and Brightsite” Mr. Edwin Zijlstra, Senior Policy Officer at Province of Limburg
13:50 European Programmes for Research and Innovation in Chemicals
Ms. Jennifer Ruiz, Senior Consultant for EU R+D+I Programs. ACCIÓ
14:00 Lunch – Cocktail
15:00 Visit ICIQ facilities
Dr. Laura Hernández, ICIQ
16:30 End of the meeting