The SMART WASTE Action Plan for the Tuscany region is now available!
The Action Plan addresses the Operational programme of the European Regional Development
Fund 2021 – 2027 for Tuscany (ROP ERDF). The Managing Authority of the Policy Instrument is Tuscany Region. ARRR, lead partner of the SMART WASTE project, as in house company of Tuscany Region, supports on a daily basis Tuscany Region, since the early nineties, in developing and monitoring regional public policies in waste management and circular economy.
What will be changed?
With the Action Plan, ARRR aims to introduce a new action to support circular economy through waste recycling in the Tuscan ROP ERDF 2021-2027.
Overall, the action main goal is to provide co-financing to project supporting further shift of Tuscany waste management on the higher steps of the European waste hierarchy, as set out by the European Waste Framework Directive, namely waste recycling, also trough support of municipal waste separate collection.
The Action will allocate 50 million euros during the current programming period 2021 – 2027 of public funding through calls for projects, to co-finance interventions in the following fields:
- Investments in projects granting more waste recycled, in order to reduce raw materials consumption along supply chains and, at the same time, reducing the amount of waste disposed of in landfills or used as fuel in waste to energy plants;
- Investments to reduce the amount of municipal waste disposed of in landfills, therefore financing priorities are the following :
- Projects to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of separate collection of such waste, in terms of more quantity waste source-separated and with an ever lower cross-contamination level;
- Projects to provide, according to the Best Available Techniques, additional capacity for waste selection for recycling in existing waste treatment plants;
- Projects to provide additional food and green waste recycling capacity, for instance trough anaerobic digestion.
The approval of ERDF ROP 2021 – 2027 is scheduled in the first half of 2022 and the first call for projects should be launched no later than 18 months after the approval.
Read more on the action, the background and activities that led to this change in the Action Plan Tuscany region.